The Path To Bodhichitta

You start where you are, the practice will meet you there.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Friday, May 04, 2007

Air Head, Earth Feet

I've been feeling like a feather in the wind for the past few days. Rising, dipping, twirling and floating to an erratic rhythm I can neither grasp nor comprehend. Snatching gulps of air when the tempo slows, holding my breath when it accelerates, praying that the when this mad dance finally draws to an end I will be striking the right pose.

A new friend said, "When everything around you is moving, stand still." At the time, it made absolute sense. Now, standing still feels passive, cowardly and maddeningly lethargic. So I keep moving. And with each movement, the knot I'm trying to untangle gets worse.

Yesterday, as I was experimenting with different sequences for my evening class, I suddenly felt a pull towards a grounding sequence. Whether it was I or my students who needed it more, I was didn't know. What I did know is that the squence felt right.

As I guided my students into Virabhadrasana I (Warrior I), Parsvottanasana (Intense Side Stretch), Virabhadrasana II (Warrior II) and Trikonasana (Triangle), I listened to the words that flowed out of my mouth.

"Press your feet into the ground and feel the stability and support beneath it."
"Stretch your hands up to the ceiling, feel your spine growing long and strong."
"Create space around your chest, allow it to open."
"Feel peace, strength and confidence in the asana."
"Let your body melt into the asana. Slowly. Gently."
"Don't push to far. Listen to your body. Honour it."
"It's ok if you can't do the complete asana today. The most important thing is that you're aspiring to do it."
"Use your strengths, respect your weaknesses."

The dizzying dance slowed a little after that class. My feet are touching ground now. And I know all could be well in my world if I just stopped moving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home