The Path To Bodhichitta

You start where you are, the practice will meet you there.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Sunday, April 20, 2008

My Big Little Triumph

I'm going to be very self-indulgent in this post, so please bear with me.

Those of you who have been reading me for a long time would not be a stranger to my fear of inversions. How I can only manage sirsasana (Headstand), and how any attempt at another inversion leaves me in a quivering mess. It is with great admiration and longing that I watch my fellow classmates effortlessly kick upwards in pincha mayurasana, their legs slicing easily through the air and their heels coming to rest lightly on the wall. I've tried it so many times but fear keeps my feet glued to the floor. The times that I do kick up a little, I resemble a foal trying to walk for the first time. So I have resorted to just sticking one leg upwards for The Teacher to pull up and brace against the wall.

Last week, in the privacy of my yoga room, I was suddenly seized by the desire to give it another shot. I set up my mat against the wall, aligned my elbows and lower arms, and looked ahead. Slowly, I walked my feet closer to my arms, order the screaming voice in my head to shut up and kicked as high as I could. It didn't reach the wall, but it was surprisingly better than I had ever done before. So I kept trying, and trying and trying.

After the tenth kick or so, I finally did it And of course the wave of euphoria sent me crashing right down. But I DID IT!!!!!

Those of you with acrobatic prowness in your blood may not understand - like The Seer, who watched me proudly demonstrate and said, "I don't get it. What was the big news?" - but trust me when I say, it's a fantastic high! Pun not intended.

I immediately texted The Teacher, who replied 'Patthabi Jois says, practice practice and all is coming'.

I don't know whether ALL will be coming hereforth, but I'm just thrilled that one has finally arrived!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Starlight,
It's true....practice, and all is (certainly) coming! I had problems with Pincha Mayurasana as well - kicking up wasn't so much of a problem, but staying up was... I was swaying like a palm tree on a beach...before crashing down like a hippo! Hahaha.

I then started to practise the pose every morning at home... I now have bunions on my elbows as souvenirs too:) Just last Monday, I found myself kicking upwards and staying away from the wall, for 10 seconds! Those 10 seconds felt like an hour, but I was elated!

So, I do understand your euphoria at your mini victory. It IS a big deal! Good for you!

Maybe it should've been "practice, practice, and all is (slowwwwly) coming".

Om Shanti.

12:34 AM  
Blogger starlight said...

Away from the wall now? You're my new hero! :) Well done!! I still haven't summoned the courage to move away from the wall yet. And yes, I agree....it is slowwwwwwly coming. :)

3:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home