The Path To Bodhichitta

You start where you are, the practice will meet you there.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Brahmacharya - Day I

Brahmacharya : Control of the senses, abstinence

"Practice of Brahmacharya gives good health, inner strength, peace of mind and long life. It invigorates the mind and nerves. It helps to conserve physical and mental energy. It augments memory, will force and brain power. It bestows tremendous strength, vigour and vitality. Strength and fortitude are obtained... He who is established in Brahmacharya will have lustrous eyes, a sweet voice and a beautiful complexion." - Swami Sivananda

Believe me when I say that I do not have lustrous eyes, a sweet voice and a beautiful complexion. The absence of caffeine in my bloodstream has invoked half-shut eyes, a gruff voice and a dark expression. And this is only the first day.

I recently read in Uncyclopedia (a parody of Wikipedia) that Malaysians are known for their state of denial. Like a true blue Malaysian, I would scoff, "I'm not addicted to caffeine. Don't be ridiculous!"

Exactly 24 hours after the Caffeine Ban was imposed, the withdrawal symptoms hit. And they hit hard. Invisible needles charged at me and began drilling away at my forehead and temples. The headache continued way into the night, no thanks to a friend who had to have a cuppa' before making a long trip home.

But perhaps it's all in my mind. After all, it's only Day 1.

The Seer suggested that I focus on happy things. Like what? The Promise Land of lustrous eyes, sweet voices and beautiful complexions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home