The Path To Bodhichitta

You start where you are, the practice will meet you there.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Monday, November 26, 2007

My Old Friend

PDN uttered a beautiful phrase today.

We were all in pada hasthasana, trying to serenely focus on our breath and alignment instead of our screaming hamstrings. PDN weaved between our folded bodies, calling out instructions. Then, as he instructed us to move deeper into the pose, he said;

"Be mindful of your alignment. Don't let your ego bring your stomach closer to your knees by moving all your weight to your heels."

I don't know if those words struck the other students the way they did me, but those words glued themselves in my mind until I sat down at my laptop.

The ego. My ever present invisible partner in my practice. Sometimes it sits at the sidelines and chuckles at my valiant efforts, other times it forces me beyond my physical capabilities. But most of the time, it gets a good telling off and is sent out of the room so I can practice in peace.

When PDN addressed my old friend, I smiled inwardly. And for the rest of the class, that old friend stood outside, its nose pressed against the glass, watching as I practiced yoga my way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home