The Path To Bodhichitta

You start where you are, the practice will meet you there.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Friday, December 29, 2006

Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word

When I reached the legal age for a driver's license, a middle-aged man was engaged as my driving instructor. He spoke only when necessary and never lost his cool. By now, I've settled into my own driving style and have forgotten almost everything he's told me...except one piece of advice.

"In an accident, never say you're sorry."

"But what if I hit someone?" I asked.

"Don't say sorry!" he insisted. "If you do, you're admitting you're in the wrong and you'll have to pay for the damage."

It was a peculiar bit of advice, but I didn't want to argue with him so I nodded. I've carried those words with me for years, wondering if he handled every situation with defensiveness.

Last year, someone reversed straight into my car and shattered my right indicator light. We both inspected the damage, then he turned to me and said, "It's my fault and I'll pay for it."

I was so glad he had a different driving instructor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home